multiculturalism in the headlines
Over the course of this six week semester I had
the opportunity to explore and learn material that was out of my comfort zone. As
an individual that teaches mathematics. To be able to learn and explore a content
area that I am unfamiliar with such as ELA, can become a very useful tool when
teaching mathematics to high school students. In the very short time period I was
able to learn many new English Language Arts techniques that I could modify
into my math curriculum. Thankfully, I had the convenience of working in a school
that has a very diverse population of students that I was able to observe. The students
in an ELA classroom setting that I had the privilege to observe were able to
respond to different cultural backgrounds in a positive manner. Also, because
the school that I work at in so diverse I was able to explore how English Language
Learners interact to different classroom settings. I was also able to obtain the
knowledge of how other teachers express academic knowledge to this diverse
population of students. I was able to observe
students at the adolescent age group (15-21yrs old) as well as how this diverse
population of students interacted within the same classroom environment.
I feel that the
content of English has so many ways and opportunities to incorporate culture in
to lessons. Mathematics is also a very culture based content. However, due to
the short time frame that we as math teachers are given. It’s tough to squeeze
in material that would be of high interest to many diverse cultural populations.
In the school setting there is numerous ways that a teacher can incorporate
culture within the lesson. The use of different literature works in the classroom
gives the teacher a way to express different societies, and authors of different
cultures to students. The teacher if he/she wanted to could relate a book or
topic to a specific student’s culture. This would enhance the knowledge of the
surrounding students as well as give the ELL student confidence and make them
more interactive with the lesson. Language
vocabulary is a very crucial part of learning and understanding a language. Regardless
of the specific content area, each and every content area has its own
vocabulary definitions. As a future educator it is our duties to be able to
connect and incorporate these specific vocabulary terms into our lessons. In doing
so this will only enhance a student’s knowledge by exposing them to these
different cultures. Also, allowing them to become more familiar with these different
types of cultures and be able to understand how these cultures differ. These terms
can be related and connected to other cultures which assist with the ELL feel involved
in the lesson. A majority of the ELL learners in a program will struggle with a
language that is not native to theirs. We
as future educators must set the expectation bar for academic learning just as high
for our ELL students as we do for our mainstream students. We should encourage
ELL students to incorporate their language and culture within the lesson.
In a classroom that I
did observations in the teacher spent an entire week on a lesson for a student
to express and teach about one of his cultural holiday celebrations. All of the
students in the class were eager to learn more, but not of just that culture,
other cultures as well. This lesson not only made the ELL student feel wanted,
but the other students began to acknowledge him more. The other students began
to assist and shadow the struggling ELL student.
When learning about other cultures in the
classroom this starts to get other students interested in their personnel
cultural background. The teacher gave the
students an assignment where they were required to obtain a type of literature
that related to a culture other than their own. The students were required to
explore the setting, author, and characters and reflect on what message the
author or character were trying to express. Throughout the class semester I had
the privilege to watch and read many articles about how to incorporate
different cultures into the classroom while keeping students engaged in the lesson.
I hope that someday I will get the opportunity to teach a subject other than
mathematics so I can incorporate some of these teaching techniques into my
lessons.
Comments
Post a Comment