week 2 assignment 2
My personal
experiences with sociocultural experiences occurred within the environments of
which I was exposed to. For instance I am a white, male, middle class individual
that grew up in Patchogue NY. However, I attended Bellport High School, which
is a very diverse district. When I inform people that I graduated from Bellport
their response is usually “Oh….., yea how was that.” Tell you the truth I’m
glad that I went to Bellport, I have a very diverse mind set which makes my
highly effective for my job as a teacher at BOCES. I work with many diverse and
interesting students. My ethic background didn’t have much to do with my
motivation or mindset. My cultural surrounding however shaped me to become the
person that I am today. I am able to adapt to nearly any situation that I am
placed into. My communication skills are highly effective in ways that I can
interact with people of all sorts of social classes. My mind set became more
enhanced when I graduated high school and enrolled at NYIT. The people are also
very diverse, the only people I must say made me angry at times were those who
were rich and stuck up. I am certainly not a privileged individual. I worked
and work my butt off, I’ve learned to do everything myself through experience. My
parents didn’t really help or guide me much; I found my own drive through other
people’s success. I noticed what other people had and I said to myself “I want
that”, so I worked for it. I remember this one job I had working at a catering
hall in Baiting Hallow (I won’t mention who). The owner was this Old Italian
guy that was awesome in all aspects, but his son who was the manager was this
stuck up 45 year old spoiled child. He would never address the staff personally
or even look at us. He would talk to the banquet manager in front of us and
have him address us during meeting. It was actually very rude and disrespectful,
(not one single employee liked him). He thought he was better than us, but he wasn’t
in my eyes he was just adopting his father business that he didn’t create. I remember
he would refer to us as the “help.” To me that’s what rich white people in the 1700’s
used to call their slaves. That taught me how I would never treat or talk to
people. He apparently grew up in a different type of environment. I work with
many unfortunate students. I try to always converse with they in the most
respectful manner to build a bond with them. I have students that I don’t even
teach come up to me and ask me for help. I go out of my way for my student to
help ensure their success as well as guide them in the right direction.
That's why we are here to ensure every student equal access to best quality learning and use their cultural background as assets to enhance their learning. :D
ReplyDelete